Saturday, May 20, 2006

What a Fool I am!!!

For the past 8 days here in Montréal, it has been raining! What a crazy weather pattern that has gone through here. Last night was the first night of the street ministry for the summer, and due to the weather, we couldn`t go out on the street. So, we went underground with tracts to distribute. Honestly, this is the thing that struggle with the most, because there usually isn`t a lot of conversation involved in distributing tracts. But after about an hour of giving out literature about Jesus and a New Life, one guy stopped and was asking me questions in french. We got to talk for a minute in french (praise God that He allowed me to understand and respond), then he found out I was from the States, so he asked in good english, "So, you speak english?", and of course I was relieved to get to proceed from that point on in english, my favorite language!!
His name is Martin and he is a neuroscientist - what a divinve appointment - genius with a fool. But as the conversation went along, God gave me a quiet patience with Martin and God really helped me answer this very intelligent man's questions. As we were talking, I got to speak with him about how God uses the weak things of the world (because he was trying to explain to me how things of God should be of logic and that if I substituted the word "Green Dragon" for "Jesus", that I would be committed to a mental institution..... haha), but I read him First Corinthians 1:26-31. I want to write here the Message Remix Version:
"Take a good look, friends, at who you were when you got called into this life. I don't see many of the 'brightest and the best' among you, not many influential, not many from high-society families. Isn't it obvious that God deliberately chose men and women that the culture overlooks and exploits and abuses, chose these 'nobodies' to expose the hollow pretensions of the 'somebodies'? That makes it quite clear that none of you can get by with the blowing your own horn before God. Everything that we have - right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start - comes from God by way of Jesus Christ. That's why we have the saying, 'If you're going to blow a horn, blow a trumpet for God." - 1st Corinthians 1:26-31
And what a Fool I am!!!! Even according to my friend Martin. This is some of the advice that he gave me.
- first, find a girl - not a real good looking girl, but average, with a good heart and have a family and do good - and leave this religious stuff behind.
- second, take my eyebrow ring out because I could be a great public speaker, but not with my "thing" in my eye
- third, He said he gave me a clean slate to start over and that I didn't need a God to do that - that he was giving it to me for free
And the list could go on!
But I shared Jesus with him and what Jesus has done for him and that He loves him! I got to share the gospel simply for about an hour with him, and he walked away not understanding why I didn't want "MORE" than my imaginary relationship with Jesus!
Please pray for Martin, my genius (literally) agnostic friend who now has a booklet on a New Life in Christ. Please pray that he'll take up my challenge to him to prove that Jesus is not the Messiah by using the Scriptures and that he will take up God's challenge to abandon it all, deny himself and follow Him!
I am a BIG FOOL - A fool who God gives the words to challenge a man much smarter than I!
I love that God gives me the words and the boldness - We must share Jesus - He is too good to keep just to ourselves!!! FOLLOW HIM with no regard for ourselves!!!

Enabled Fool,
Dwight
Matthew 6:25-34

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny, what he siad about that "thing" in your eye. I will pray for Martin and that God will lead him to Himself that Martin may come to know the wonder and glory of Jesus and God.

5:53 PM

 
Blogger Josh O. said...

Definitely praying for you. Fool! Better to be a fool foor Jesus, though.

Here's a quote Mark passed along to me today:
"We need to make plain that TOTAL DEPRAVITY is not just badness, but blindness to beauty and deadness to joy..." John Piper.

I will pray that your witness of how God opened your mind and heart to the beauty of the gospel will break the blindness to Christ' beauty and the deadness of joy in Martin's life.

4:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home