Monday, October 30, 2006

Thomas a Kempis - Humble opinion of Self

So often, I find that men that have gone before me put things much better than I could scribble them down on paper. Their word choices bring out with more clarity and punch the very essence of what they want to get across, where sometimes I feel like I'm just rambling about the so-called important thoughts in my mind. But humbleness and humility is something that is not spoken enough about. As I was drifting through this treasure of a book by Thomas a Kempis, I came across this true, yet troubling paragraph. It brings forth the very meaning behind the warning of I Corinthians 10:12. In our fight for our rights, our names to be known, for us to mean something, for significance, for popularity, and just to be plain cool, look at these worldly virtues in the light of what Thomas had to say.
"If you wish to learn and appreciate something worth while, then love to be unknown and considered as nothing. Truly to know and despise self is the best and most perfect counsel. To think of oneself as nothing, and always to think well and highly of others is the best and most perfect wisdom. Wherefore, if you see another sin openly or commit a serious crime, do not consider yourself better, for you do not know how long you can remain in good estate. All men are frail, but you must admit that none is more frail than yourself." - Imitation of Christ

If we take his words as truth, we must lean heavy on the Lord and not trust in our own understanding, but trust in the Lord with all our might, and love Him with all our heart, mind, soul and strength - begging Him to help us enjoy Him.

"He must increase, but I must decrease" - John the Baptist

Decreasing.
Dwight

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How easy it is in the world we live in today to put the focus on ourselves as the world tells and shows us that in everything we see. Thanks for reminding me that the only important thing in this life is Jesus and what He has done for us and that we need to share that with others. We need to be reminded of this often and realize that in and of ourselves we are nothing!

9:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home