Tuesday, May 23, 2006

How do we present Jesus?

"Benefit evangelism" fills our churches with people who are taught to expect everything to go their way just because they became Christians. But Jesus promises persecution for following Him, not worldly perks (John 15:18-16:4, 2 Timothy 3:12). We want to build Christians and churches who persevere through hardship, who are willing to suffer and be persecuted and even die for the Gospel of Christ, because they value God's glory more than the temporal benefits of conversion. We don't want people to become Christians because it will reduce their stress. We want them to become Christians because they know they need to repent of their sins, believe in Jesus Christ, and joyfully take up their cross and follow Him for the glory of God.
There are indeed wonderful benefits to the Christian life; but being God-centered in our evangelism by focusing less on the temporal benefits and more on God's character and plan makes for more Christians ready to suffer, and more churches motivated by God's glory" - The Deliberate Church by Mark Dever & Paul Alexander. p. 56, 57.
Let's be deliberate in how we share Jesus. Let's not push someone to pray a prayer that is a "blissful damnation". This is a reflection question for me and for you.... How do we present Jesus and how do we offer an opportunity for people to know Him? Do we push at all? Do we put more emphasis on the "benefits" than what Jesus says to His disciples about counting the cost of following Him. The benefits are eternal - but eternal life begins here according to Jesus in the gospel of John, and it is at the moment of conversion that we receive real life - abundant life! What do we put the focus on in evangelism? How do we share the Lover of our Soul?....

On a different note.... Pray for me please.... To pray.
My quiet times have been great here and I'm learning a lot from God's Word and by sharing Jesus - but my prayer has lacked here. I've had a couple good times of prayer, but please pray for me to fully realize that prayer is the work! My prayers have been good in terms of praying throughout the day, but it's taking chunks of time to pray - I need to! Please pray for me that I would have a passion to pray and that I am reminded often that I need to pray.
I received an email from one of my junior-high friends today, and in his email at the very end he wrote, "Don't forget to say your prayers." How much more clearly can it be?? So, praise be to God for helping me see that He wants me to talk to Him more about what is going on. I love doing it, but sometimes I think I'm too busy! That is foolish! Help me and in turn reflect on how much are you talking to the God of the Universe, the Lover of our Soul, the Almighty God - because He wants a close close relationship with us!

2 Chronicles 34:21 - "The the king (Josiah) stood in is place and made it covenant before the Lord to walk after the Lord, and to keep His commandments and His testimonies and His statutes with all his heart and with all his soul, to perform the words of the covenant written in this book." Compare with Deuteronomy 6-12.... Be encouraged... Jesus loves you..
Cheer up, one day (if you know Jesus as your personal Savior and have submitted your life to Him, repenting of your sins and believing that He has died for your sins as a payment for sin and has risen again - trusting Him completely as your Forgiver, Savior and Commander of your life) you're gonna die and go to Heaven...

Cheered Up,
Dwight

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh O. said...

If only you had one of those kool Christian T-shirts your prayer life would be just perfect! After all isn't that what Jesus did in Luke 18:1? Reading from the Re-Mess version: "And Jesus gave them tacky Christian T-shirts from CBD.COM to show them that at all times they ought to pray and not lose heart."

Seriously. Right up there with 'benefit evangelism' is 't-shirt evangelism.' I saw one the other day that said 'Want to avoid burning? Try Son block.' Where's gospel in that?! Forget boycotting the DaVinci Code, I'm thinking about boycotting CBD!

I am my brother's keeper. I will pray for you, Dwight.

2:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home